S&W Urban and Regional Research is a research-oriented planning and consulting company based in Dortmund, Germany. It was founded in 2001 as a spin-off from the Technical University of Dortmund.
The objective of S&W is policy-relevant and practice-oriented innovative research and consulting as a contribution to the promotion of sustainable and equitable spatial and mobility structures at the urban and rural, regional, national and European level.
Partners of S&W are Dr.‑Ing. Klaus Spiekermann, Dr.‑Ing. Björn Schwarze und Prof. Dr.‑Ing. Michael Wegener.
Range of services
Good planning requires reliable information. The special competence of S&W lies in developing and applying state-of-the-art methods of spatial analysis and simulation, geographic information systems, forecast models and advanced visualisation techniques.
Our main areas of work are:
- Spatial and location analyses, location consulting
- European Spatial Development
- Regional development and central places
- Simulation of spatial development, transport and environment
- Accessibility analyses and scenarios
- Demographic analyses and population forecasts
- Scenario analyses
- Analyses and evaluations of urban, rural and regional services of general interest
- Cross-border spatial monitoring
- Regional economic analyses
- Geostatistical and empirical analyses
- Applications and analysis methods for Big Data
- Geographical information systems, cartography and visualisation of spatial issues
In our projects, we use the latest methods of spatial analysis and simulation, geo-information systems, forecasting models and state-of-the-art visualisation techniques.